20 January 2006

Hesitating...

Still tergiversating about that study. Inscription time is now.

I have passed all week studying in the evenings, using a book on Public Expenditure Management available for free online, just to get a taste of what it's like, after all those years, and to see whether this ambitious plan of mine is feasible. The easy part is going home earlier and spend the extra time with the family. But then: sitting down to study for two more hours, plus a lot more during weekends, is OK when you're just back from a refreshing holiday, but I guess it will be something different during the times of year when I am at the end of my tether. On the other hand there is no doubt in my mind that it is going to be tremendously relevant to my work, and it will be fun to be much more knowledgeable in something as omnipresent as public administration (I still can't believe that I find something I would have found utterly boring ten years ago, so fascinating right now). It's the intensity that bothers me a bit, given the fact that work is intensive enough as it is. I should probably lower my ambitions and take longer than just two years to do the whole program.

I'll turn forty in less than two months, jeez! I should start thinking about how to celebrate it. Don't hide, but face it, throw a big party.

We're most probably going on a one-week tour to a game reserve in the north of the country, with our neighbours and their two children, who have become good friends of ours. The idea is that The women and the children would travel there by plane, whereas jean and I would rough it out in our fourwheel drive, 2 days up and 2 days down, security permitting of course. I am all excited about the prospect of a full four days on the road in the provinces, as my job normally does not involve much travelling in country. In my more sarcastic moments I sometimes joke that for me a field mission here means getting out of my office to visit a Ministry 3 minutes away.

A. is getting enviably fit, as she has running at least 4 times a week with a friend of hers. And it shows, she looks taut and trim. I really ought to get moving again myself...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>